"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Introducing Esperanza Crossing

My first blog isn't really about me.  I'll probably have some little ranting pieces every now and then, about some movie or book or something that happened that is just too crazy to believe.  But mostly, Esperanza Crossing is about my characters.  They're the ones you'll be hearing from usually, if you keep up.

Esperanza is the Spanish word for hope.  I like hope.  It's one of those things you just can't get by very well without.  The opposite of hope is despair, which is never fun.  So you can see why hope would be important.

Hope is just as important in books.  At least to me.  If the characters don't have hope, then why do they even try?  Oh, sure, there's a sense of duty, which is nice, or a desire for revenge, which, if not nice, is at least fun.  But they're always depressed.  They're always pessimistic.  They're not fighting for anything but themselves, and they're usually pathetic whether they win or lose. (I'm looking at you, Katniss.)

So I aim that in my writing, you see a lot of hope.  And other good stuff, like love.  Courage.  Forgiveness.  Sacrifice.  Wisdom.  Humility.  Faith.  And I hope you see bad stuff, too - hate, cowardice, grudges, pride, selfishness, because without that, the good wouldn't seem quite as great.  And I hope I make it clear which side is really better.

Oh... and I really, really hope you comment.  I want some feedback.

-Pammi

No comments:

Post a Comment